Have you experienced too high or too low moisture level inside your home? It’s a big discomfort on your part and also a great danger on your heating and cooling systems. Read on to know the proper humidity level and how to maintain it.
What Is Relative Humidity?
Relative humidity is the measure of water vapor in the air at a specific temperature. Keeping the right humidity level in your home can save you from high energy bill and improve your home comfort. The average moisture level in a typical household should ranges between 30 to 40 in the winter and below 50 during the summer season.
The Problem with Too Low Humidity
It’s good to keep moisture low but not to the extent that it can already cause discomfort in the home. Here are some of the most common problems brought by too low relative humidity.
- Dry indoor air can trigger asthma and allergy symptoms. Viruses are easily spread causing diseases such as cold, flu and sinus inspections. It can also lead to dry air passageways and cracked lips and skins.
- Too low humidity will also make you feel colder even if the indoor temperature is warm. This means that you have to adjust the temperature until you feel comfortable. This will cut your budget big time due to high energy consumption.
- Dry air can also damage your homes. Since there is too low humidity, the moisture inside the wooden materials and furniture are taken leaving them dry and cracked. It will also bring damages on the floors and the framing of doors and windows.
The Problem with Too High Humidity
Too high humidity is also not good for homes. It can also host issues on the entire household.
- Too much moisture leads to overgrowth of molds, fungi, mildew, bacteria and viruses. These are threats to the quality of air inside and may lead to diseases.
- Too high humidity is not a good spot for asthmatic and allergic persons because it can worsen their experience and may cause them to frequently suffer the symptoms.
- High moisture level can make a muggy atmosphere inside your home making you feel warmer and uncomfortable. This will make you consume energy inappropriately thus increasing energy bill.
The best equipment to battle humidity issues are humidifiers and dehumidifiers. Get quality products at affordable costs at Withrow Mechanical.